Submission by: Glenn Burgess
Cook’s Note: My mom used to make a lentil soup that all of us kids now love (although we had to reach adult age to actually like lentils)!!!
SERVES: Approximately 8
- 1 lb. Jack Rabbit Lentils
- 9 c. water
- 2 T. bacon fat or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz. sausage links, cut into 1” pieces
- To prepare beans: Presoak beans and cook as directed.
- Heat a large pot with bacon fat or olive oil. Sauté onions and celery until softened.
- Add presoaked lentils, water, onion, celery, salt and pepper, parsley and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 ½ hours.
- Add crushed tomato and sausage pieces. Simmer 30 minutes.