Submission by: Barry Najaka
Cook’s Note: My recipe for Black Bean Chicken Tortilla Soup is made with store-bought rotisserie chicken and Jack Rabbit Brand beans to ensure quality and convenience. I do not add salt as canned broth and tomato products contain adequate salt flavor. Please enjoy this recipe and share it with family and friends.
SERVES: Approximately 4
- ¾ c. Jack Rabbit Black Beans
- 1 T. canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, sliced into wheels
- 2 c. zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 35 oz. can peeled pear shaped tomatoes with juice, squeezed
- 32 oz. carton reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, deboned and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 lb. frozen corn
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded, for garnish
- 1 c. fat free plain Greek yogurt, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, broken, for garnish
- To prepare the beans: Presoak and cook as directed.
- In large stock pot over high heat, add oil. Sauté onion, bell, poblano and jalapeno peppers until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and sauté a minute longer.
- Add tomatoes, broth, chicken, beans and corn stirring gently.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne and black pepper. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions and Tortilla chips.