Submission by: S. Baruso
Cook’s Note: Freezes well
SERVES: Approximately 4 to 6
- 1 ½ c. Jack Rabbit Black Beans
- 2/3 c. onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T. vegetable oil or white wine
- 1 ½ c. water
- ½ – ¾ cube of vegetarian bouillon or 1 ½ c. chicken broth
- 3 c. mild salsa
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- Sour cream, as needed, for garnish
- Tortillas, as needed, for garnish
- Red bell peppers, diced, as needed, for garnish
- Cucumber, diced, as needed, for garnish
- Additional salad, as needed, for garnish
- To prepare beans: Presoak and cook beans as directed.
- Sauté onion, garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes in vegetable oil until tender.
- Using blender, puree 2 cups of cooked beans and combine in a pot with onion mixture.
- Add water and bouillon.
- Add remaining beans, salsa and lime juice. Heat to a boil, reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and tortillas.
- Garnish with diced red peppers and cucumber and salsa.