Submission by: Daisy Santoruvo
SERVES: Approximately 4
- 1 lb. Jack Rabbit Chick Peas
- 2 oz. ham
- 1 small carrot, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 15 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans of chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 – 1 ½ c. small pasta shells
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
Al dente: An Italian phrase meaning 0“to the tooth,” used to describe pasta or other food that is cooked only until it offers a slight resistance when bitten into, but which is not soft or overdone.
- To prepare chick peas: Presoak and cook beans as directed.
- In a food processor, add ham, carrot, red onion and garlic clove. Process until fine.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add vegetables and sauté until softened.
- Add reserved drained chick peas, tomatoes, chicken broth and rosemary leaves. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes at medium heat.
- To prepare pasta: Bring salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and add to soup.
- Serve garnished with parmesan cheese.