Submission by: Gina Jacques-Latortue
SERVES: Approximately 8
- ½ c. Jack Rabbit Pinto Beans
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- 4 oz. bacon
- ½ c. white onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6 to 8 whole cloves
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 c. water that pinto beans were cooked in
- 2 c. long grain rice
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 whole habanero pepper
- 2 T. butter
- Parsley, leaves only, minced, for garnish
- To prepare beans: Presoak and cook as directed. Cook until tender, but shape remains. Do not overcook. Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid and beans separately.
- Heat vegetable oil in sauté pan. Sauté bacon, onions, garlic, and reserved pinto beans until beans are crispy.
- Add cloves, salt and black pepper.
- Add 3 cups of reserved cooking liquid and heat until boiling. Add rice, chicken bouillon cubes and habanero pepper.
- Once water has evaporated, remove whole pepper and mix in butter.
- Cover pot tightly and continue cooking on low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.