Submission by: Marianne Lowe
SERVES: Approximately 6
- 4 oz. Jack Rabbit Beans
- 2 ½ lb. ham hocks
- 1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 fresh green chile peppers, diced
- 1 T. tamarind powder
- 3 c. water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- To prepare lima beans: Presoak and cook beans as directed.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add the ham hocks and return to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Drain and rinse.
- Combine the lima beans and ham hocks in a stockpot. Add the ginger, tomato, onion, green chile peppers, tamarind powder, and 3 cups water. Season with salt to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer the soup until the pork is tender and the lima beans are soft and bursting from their skins, about 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the soup and cook until the spinach has just wilted.