Submission by: Lidia Rota
SERVES: Approximately 16
- ½ lb. Jack Rabbit Red Kidney Beans
- ½ lb. Jack Rabbit Pinto Beans
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 12 oz. string beans, chopped
- 1 head of celery, diced
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 12 oz. cabbage, julienned sliced
- 15 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. ditalini pasta
- 1 gallon of homemade chicken broth
- Parmesan cheese, as desired, for garnish
- To prepare beans: Presoak and cook beans as directed.
- In a large pot sauté onions, carrots, string beans, celery and potatoes in olive oil for ten minutes.
- Add cabbage and sauté for an additional five minutes.
- Add tomatoes and reserved kidney and pinto beans and stir until well combined.
- Add homemade chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables and beans are soft.
- To prepare pasta: Bring salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
- To serve: Place cooked pasta in bottom of soup bowls and ladle in soup. Garnish with parmesan cheese.