Submission by: Tyler Chirico
Cook’s Note: This is really very good. My dad makes this on Saturdays to have a supply all week.
SERVES: Approximately 4
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. onion, diced
- 2 c. mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ c. carrots, sliced
- 4 c. chicken broth
- ¼ c. Jack Rabbit Pearled Barley, rinsed
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Black pepper, to taste
- Sauté onions in oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and carrots and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove thyme and bay leaves and serve.