Submission by: Karen Kooi
Cook’s Note: The following recipe has become a favorite of ours. It’s delicious any time of the year…spring, summer, fall or winter.
SERVES: Approximately 4
- ½ c. Jack Rabbit White or Navy Beans
- 4 heavy duty aluminum foil sheets about 18”x24”
- ¾ lb. medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large fresh tomato, diced
- ¼ c. green onion, sliced
- ¼ c. chicken broth
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, julienne sliced, for garnish
- Grated parmesan cheese, as needed, for garnish
- Bread or cooked rice, optional, served on side
- To prepare beans: Presoak and cook as directed.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the center of each of 4 pieces of foil, place beans, shrimp, tomato and onion. Drizzle with broth, lemon juice and oil. Season with Old Bay, lemon zest, and pepper. Seal packets allowing room for steam.
- Place packets on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Place contents of each packet in a bowl and top with basil and parmesan.
- Serve with bread or over rice.