Submission by: Paula Leuske
SERVES: 1 ½ GALLONS
- 4 c. Jack Rabbit Great Northern Beans
- 4 oz. bacon, diced
- 2 c. onions, diced
- 1 c. carrots, diced
- 1 c. celery, diced
- 9 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2 lb. ham hocks or ½ lb. smoked pork
- 4 lb. tomatoes, concasse
- Salt & ground pepper, to taste
- Basil, chopped, to taste
- To prepare beans: Presoak and cook as directed.
- In stockpot, render bacon. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add stock, beans and pork. Heat to boil; reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Remove pork from soup and dice. Remove and puree ½ of the beans. Return puree to the stockpot. Add diced pork and season to taste.