Submission by: Marlies Bohringer
SERVES: Approximately 9
- 1 ½ c. Jack Rabbit Great Northern Beans
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 c. of chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 c. of water
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- ½ c. medium pearl barley
- ½ c. fresh parsley, minced, divided use
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- To prepare bean: Presoak and cook beans as directed.
- In a separate pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the broth, water, beans, carrots, red peppers, celery, barley, ¼ cup parsley, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
- Add tomatoes, and heat.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve.