Submission by: Sophia Tan
Cook’s Note: I used to work in Saudi Arabia and this recipe was given to me by my Saudi friend. We have this for breakfast like a dip with pita bread or as a vegetarian dip option for parties. You can also add more water to make it into “Lentil Soup”. Lentils can also be soaked in cold water a few hours before cooking to cut down cooking time.
SERVES: Approximately 4
- 1 c. Jack Rabbit Red or Yellow Lentils
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, minced
- 1 T. garlic, minced
- 1 T. ginger root, peeled and minced
- Thyme or oregano, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 green chilies, seeds removed
- Pita bread, as needed
- To prepare lentils: Wash and cook as directed. Set aside.
- To prepare dip: Heat sauté pan with olive oil. Sauté onion until 1/2 done. Add garlic, then ginger, thyme, salt, tomato & green chilies. Continue cooking over medium heat until it turns into a thick paste. Add the paste to the reserved lentils and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes.
- To serve: Serve lentil dip with pita bread.