Submission by: Erica
Cook’s Note: “Here is one of our favorite family recipes and it is a staple in West Indian culture. It makes a great snack and is usually sold in all West Indian stores. The peas can be fried whole or split, both varieties are sold!”
SERVES: Approximately 8
- 1 lb. bag Jack Rabbit Chick Peas
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Hot pepper, to taste
- 1 T. salt
- Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- Soak chick peas overnight making sure the water covers the peas.
- Combine garlic, hot pepper and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Drain peas and remove peels.
- Heat enough oil in a pot for deep frying. Fry chick peas until they are light brown, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove and place into bowl with seasoning and mix thoroughly. Cool and serve.